7.09.2011

The Greatest Show On Earth


In the summer of 1997, I was part of the circus. Well, at least it was a Cirque du Soleil-inspired showcase of Pippin. (: With our costumes from the Repertory Philippines stock room and makeup by National Bookstore (glitters stuck to our face with eye putty by theater actresses), we did a show in the midst of a typhoon. Ever since, I've always dreamed of catching a Cirque show live.

Last night, I finally got a chance to step inside the Grand Chapiteau and witness my first ever Cirque du Soleil show. A few months ago, we had the privilege of seeing a 15-minute preview of Varekai and I was completely floored. We got to see the Icarian Games and the Solo on Crutches. I knew that I just had to see this live.

Fast forward to last night, after being stuck in traffic for more than 2 hours, I was prepared to be amazed. My friends Binky and Mikko had seen other Cirque shows prior to this one so I knew that they were more than happy to accompany me. Mikko, who has seen 4 shows already, says this was the one she enjoyed the most. We got the "cheapest" seats in the house, but by some miracle, we got moved closer to the stage when we got inside the tent. (:

I was like a little kid ooh-ing and ahh-ing at every act. My Top 3 favorites would be:


Aerial Hoop. Hanging on a hoop with just your flexed toes? Who does that?! A-mazing!


Triple Trapeze. I think anything suspended in air is bound to leave your jaw hanging open. But I loved these four girls who seemed to move like they were just one person.


Handbalancing on Canes. She was so graceful yet strong at the same time. Her movement was so fluid, you'd think she had no bones in her body!

And of course, the Russian Swings were just something else. Everyone in the audience was screaming at each loop de loop and each tumble. My heart was in my throat each time.

I'm so happy I got to see this. Now, I can't wait to see other Cirque du Soleil shows!

Catch Cirque du Soleil's Varekai until July 24. You can book tickets online through hoopla.ph. Photos courtesy of Cirque du Soleil.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your name and e-mail addy, at least. (: