7.13.2011

The Boy Who Was Loved

I was in high school when the books first came out. I didn't pay much attention to them until the paperbacks were in stock. My brothers and I have the first four books. The rest, I managed to borrow from friends, read on my computer, or both.

I know a lot of fans are very particular about how the books are translated into films, but I've always enjoyed all the films—missing scenes (and added ones, for that matter). I think the experience of reading the book and watching the film are two entirely different things.

That being said, I didn't know how to feel about the last film in this franchise. On one hand, I was excited to see how it would all unravel onscreen. But at the same time, my heart was hurting because this was a story I had followed for more than a decade!



One of the scenes I was looking forward to was Snape's memory. I loved reading that part in the book. And though it was reduced to minutes on film, I still think it was one of my favorite parts of the movie. Another favorite: Helena Bonham Carter as Hermione Granger.

A scene that got to me (more than I expected it to) was when Harry finally gets to open the Snitch in the Forbidden Forest. Kind of wish I had my own resurrection stone to bring back my loved ones. ):

There were some things I wish they had included, but I think that it was necessary. The movie was just right at about 2 hours-long. And seeing it in IMAX is a whole other experience. It's the only film done entirely in 3D so it's worth seeing in that medium.

I can't believe it's all over. Now excuse me while I go back and find my books and get lost in Hogwarts again.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 in cinemas on July 14.

2 comments:

  1. CRYING. I wrote this mega long ode to Harry Potter on my personal blog and I was just sobbing like heck halfway though. Harry Potter is one of the few things that has brought people of different places, faces and spaces together. Even in the end we are still united because of him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:21 PM

    I DID NOT SEE THIS.
    omg.

    i'm a sucker for movie adaptations no matter how bad (and though my standards are low), i've always loved the movie versions. i didn't cry, SHOCKER, but i loved it.

    MARATHON NA ITO. <3

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your name and e-mail addy, at least. (: